- A canning rack or water bath canner. We really want to try canning, but not having done it before and the need to acquire more kitchen junk to do so has become a road block. With three bushels of apples worth of applesauce in the fridge/freezer right now, it would be helpful if we could can some of it. If I found a rack that fit our stock-pot or an actual water bath canner, I think I could stomach having to order the rest of the stuff online.
- Ice Cube Trays. The ice-maker in our old fridge was broken, so we had to make our OWN ice. In trays. THE HORROR. When we were forced to replace the fridge this summer, I giddily through the trays into the recycling bin forgetting that they are also useful for freezing single portions of pesto, and freezing leftover stock and wine for sauces. Since I had some and I tossed them, I can't seem to justify going to BBB or target and just buying some for a dollar when I'm SURE there are 72 ice cube trays waiting for me at the thrift store of .25 cents each.
- Scrabble. I think it would be really fun to get an old scrabble game and put magnetic sheeting on the back of all the pieces to make a fun magnet set. It wouldn't really even matter if you didn't have all the pieces. I have also seen some fun holiday decorations featuring scrabble sets.
Thursday, November 8, 2012
Things I'd Really Like to Find at the Thirft Store
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are BRILLIANT and I will totally be freezing wine for sauce. I hate throwing away that 1/3 bottle just because it's not quite good enough to drink but I don't have dinner plans that would necessitate cooking with wine for the week.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you probably won't find Scrabble at a thrift store. Most thrift stores don't take board games because they often don't have all the pieces. I've tried to get rid of a few perfectly good games that aren't missing any pieces and I've been told they would go into the trash. Maybe not all stores are like that, just my experience. :)