Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Lost: One Sense of Humor?

We interrupt this sleepy Tuesday afternoon to bring you a rant that clearly indicates I've lost my sense of humor.

I have lost count of how many places I've seen this picture, but I'm tired of it. I am tired of the disparaging attitude toward ourselves and our bodies that this represents to me. 



Potomac River Running, one of my favorite favorite running companies in town posted this on Facebook this afternoon along with the comment, "'Like' this post if you can relate." Well, I did not like it and in fact I left a rather exasperated comment and then I liked the one other comment by an author with feelings similar to mine.  What I love about sports is that it doesn't matter what I look like it's all about what I can do!! Sure, I might be carrying around 10 extra pounds (according to my GP), but do you know I can run 5 sub-8:30 miles in a row?  Because I can.

I attended a "Ladies Night" fun run about 6 weeks ago at Pacer's, another local running company I patronize frequently.  On that particular night, the run was sponsored by a popular running brand and we got to try out some gear and talk to the company's local brand rep.  The rep and Pacer's folks wanted to get a photo of everyone and all was well and good until I heard this disturbing comment, "Let's take the picture now [before the run], no one wants to see the after!" Oh, no.  I know, I know. It was said it passing. But this this really bothers me.  When I look at myself after a run, I know I'm a bit disheveled and I don't smell nice, but what you see is a product of some hard, ass-kicking work. Look at me, I am AWESOME. Look how sweaty I got because I am working so hard and I kick SO much ass. It disappointed me that in a room full of other women runners, not a single other person seemed to feel the same way.

And while I'm getting all uppity about this, I'll point out that 1) both photos feature women 2) and you know where you most frequently see this? Pinterest. [Sigh].  Do dudes self-hate like this? Maybe, but I guess at least they aren't posting on Facebook about it.

Come on, ladies. Even if you might look like a sunshine yellow rolly-polly jogging down the street, wear those sweat beads and your final kick face* and that half-falling out ponytail and that big wet patch down your back, like the badge of honor it is. Own it. Love it. And don't forget to give a good, "I'm-finishing-this-last-mile-under-XX-minutes-if-it-kills-me" grunt at the end for good measure.

*you know that face you make when your leaving it all on the pavement right at the end of a race or run.

2 comments:

  1. i tend to agree. (although i really appreciate humor in any situation. i'll be the first to admit i look like a total spaz when my TRX instructor throws in kick boxing, and not like the badass black belt next to me. but! that's totally not the point. i'm getting my exercise on!)

    one of my huge pet peeves in fitness classes is when instructors say "do it so you can fit into those skinny jeans!", "bikini season is just around corner!", etc. um, NO. how bout we do it bc our bodies are healthy and strong and capable?

    and i want to cry every time i see a "thinspiration" pin on pinterest. barf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post!! I look like a beast when I work out, because I AM! lol, I get so red in the face and sweaty but feel so powerful, kinda like when I was pushing the Little Man out. Holy Hell that was HARD, but I've never been more proud of what I can physically and more importantly, mentally, do.

    ReplyDelete