Friday, May 25, 2012

Crazy Dog Lady

Even though I grew-up in a pet-free house and (you will be shocked about this) wasn't much of a dog person as a kid, I have taken to dog-ownership like nobody's business.

When we adopted the Griffin, I knew I would love her, but I didn't realize how much she would become an irreplaceable part of our family and how much I would just LOVE her. So much so that it's possible I was a little teary-eyed the first time we had to board her for more than overnight for a family camping trip.

This is what we call a bean dog. Do you see the resemblance?

I knew almost right away too that we needed a second dog because I just KNEW we could give a wonderful home to another special little beast.  And that's how this little bundle of love ended up coming home with us.

Are you my dad?

Nearly three years after adopting Griffin and one year after adopting Barksdale, I am a 100% confirmed crazy dog lady. I worry about them being lonely if we board them, I can't break myself of the habit of letting them snuggle in bed with us (ME not the dogs), I don't even care about the pet hair and that fact that Barksdale may never 100% grasp the concept of "house-breaking" for more than 3-4 weeks at a time. I will gleefully whip out my iPhone to show pictures to anyone, anywhere that will stand still long enough for me to show them.  I don't care, I just love those little animals so much and they make our house so lively and wild and fun.   And if you're thinking, well this doesn't bode well for when they have kids, you're right. I'm sure I'll be at least 17 times more obnoxious when I have pictures of children to wave at people.

5 more minutes, mom.

In sum, I am a total sucker for all things dog-related and related to helping dogs.

I'm in Virginia Beach, Bitch!

Oh hey, were you gonna sleep here?
 
RUB MY BELLY.


The SPCA is currently advocating for a bill called the Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act.  Military dogs are currently classified as "equipment," which creates some complications upon their retirement with regard to adoption and medical care. This bill would reclassify military working dogs from as  “canine members of the armed forces” and provide for better/easier adoption channels and "retirement care."

You can visit the ASPCA website here, look up your senator and send a quick email asking them to support the bill. It only takes a few minutes and the ASPCA has done all the hard work for you (aka they wrote the email).  Do a small, but good deed for these special members of the armed forces and you too can a special place in this crazy dog lady's heart. Right behind the chunky little brown dog and the silly little black dog.

2 comments:

  1. From one crazy dog lady to another, we plan on letting our two-legged puppies know EXACTLY who stole our hearts first. :) Sammy and Wren may have some adjusting to do in a few months, but part of why I'm most excited about having kids is to see them interact with these mutts!

    And THANK YOU for sharing that information about the Military Dogs bill. I just sent along messages to both my senators. Maybe you can come meet some of the military dogs on base with me some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am totally a crazy dog lady. I embrace it.

    ReplyDelete