Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Paper Hanger

Over the weekend, I attempted to recreate this dresser drawer lining project from Young House Love. Conclusions: Sherry is a black magic wizard and I should not try to hang wallpaper anytime soon based on my results.

I don't have a lot of Mod Podge experience. In fact, despite being a bit of Crafty McCrafterson my whole life I never even heard of Mod Podge until I went to college and lived with a bunch of girls from Richmond my freshman year. I think it's one of those Richmond things like Swim Team and Priscilla's. This is probably why Sherry is so good at it (although, I guess she is actually from Jersey...). 

Anyway, I have a bottle of Mod Podge that hasn't been opened since 2002, and I went to target and procured some OMGADORABLE wrapping paper for about $7 (the rest of which I will use to wrap actual gifts, so I can stop ghetto reusing bags from my bridal shower four years ago). I cut out my sheets and then I then I started Mod Podging.

Here's where the black magic trickery comes in. I get the concept of gently laying out the paper and trying to avoid bubbles and wrinkles, but I just couldn't get it to lay flat! It ended up pretty wrinkly and little bubbly, but from far away, you can't really tell and once I got the two top coats of Mod Podge on the top, even though it was still wrinkled, it's all hard and well, Mod Podged, so it doesn't really seem to matter. Once I get stuff in the drawers (waiting a few more days for them to "cure" up), I'm sure I won't even notice. Plus, it's still OMGADORABLE. I wish I could find pictures of the paper online!

I will be interested to see how this holds up over time.  I feel like sometimes the things that YHL claims hold up do not do so in actual practice (see: spray painting your front door hardware). All in all, if you have Mod Podge and some wrapping paper laying around and you can do this project for free ninety nine, go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment