The Real Estate situation in this area is tough. There's always a lot of demand, sometimes the supply is not equal to the demand, and it's expensive. Watching other people go through the house-buying process has impressed upon us that it could take awhile (maybe a year on the long side) to find something we really want. As a result we have been "looking for fact-finding purposes" as I like to call it, for about 8 or 9 months now. We've been able to figure out which areas and 'hoods we really like, and which ones we would be open to and which are just absolutely "no." In case you are wondering, we have plenty of space in our current home for now, but one day we would like to have a little more space (and a yard, sweet Jesus, a yard for the dogs*).
Anyway, you think you know someone...and then you have to buy a house with them. While we are pretty much in agreement on what we want and don't want, and what's a dealbreaker, we have had some interesting discussions to sort it all out (hideous porch columns are ok, but split levels are not? REALLY? I'm not Scarlett, I don't want to live at Tara of South Alexandria).
One of the things that really gets me is the ridiculous street names we've come across. I am not so shallow that I would not buy a house on a street simply because the name wasn't my favorite, but living on SPRAYER Court would not be my first choice. Seriously, SPRAYER? Let's just name it Moist Avenue and call it a day.
Some other faves:
- Flintstone Circle (no -- I would just think of the Flintstone's in their feet cars all the time, yuck.)
- Windbreak Court (what?)
- Aragon Rd. (this isn't so bad, but it's kind of Lord of Rings-ish)
- Bedrock Rd. (again with the Flintsone's theme. I really hate the Flintstones.)
- Awbrey Patent Way (I don't even know what this means)
- Fiery Dawn Rd (embarrassing, I could never subscribe for another magazine or accept any mail)
- Lisa Marie Ct. (Peanut butter and bacon sandwich with a side of black bouffant anyone?)
- Misty Dawn Dr. (Like living in a romance novel!)
- Sparkleberry Terrace Northeast (the northeast is what really gets me)
*Except why am I pretty sure that even if we had a yard, Barksdale would not understand that it was his own personal dog park and a walk all rolled into one and would still want an "attendant" on all his potty breaks. Yep, I said potty.
No comments:
Post a Comment