I like Pinterest. I really do. I find it both fun and useful and an excellent waste of time. But there are a few Pintersty trends that just get my goat to no end. Here are my top 3 in no particular order.
1) Vintage Modern. This phrase is so over-used, what does it even mean anymore? I think "vintage modern" is the "shabby chic" of the two-thousand teens. Remember in like 2003 when EVERYTHING was shabby chic? Even things that weren't were shabby chic.
To prove my point here are three rooms that Pinterest tells me are "vintage modern":
 |
| Looks like an Ikea special to me. |
 |
| This is just a nice kitchen. I'm not sure how it got mixed up with the vintage modern crowd. |
 |
| This might come closest to even making sense. The furniture is actually mid-century modern, so at this point truly vintage. Mostly this just makes me think of all the insufferable "House Tour: Twee, Hip and Modern Bungalow in La Jolla (Jake, Leslie and their 3 dogs live there)" on Apartment Therapy. |
2) Mason. Jars. Stop. I love them too, but just stop.
 |
| When you're making a wooden sign that looks like a mason jar, it's time to quit. |
3) Keep it simple. Any pin that says "keep it simple" is almost never going to actually keep it simple. "12 Simple Holiday Traditions for the Best Christmas Day with Toddles Ever!" This already doesn't sound simple. Or else it will be "How to throw a simple weeknight cocktail party for 50" Sounds distinctly un-simple and expensive. This isn't the best example, but it's what made me think of this:
The caption on this was "A simple wreath will do the trick." Boxwood wreaths like this are about $50. Maybe it's my fault that I equate "simple" with "cheap/free/uncomplicated." For more examples, see just about anything the Martha Stewart Company pins.
The mason jar trend is out of control. I wish boxwood wreaths were cheap, because they're lovely.
ReplyDelete