I had grand plans this week of doing a post about the race I ran last Saturday, complete with cute "baby with a race medal" pictures. I got as far as uploading the pictures and then I got sidetracked by lackluster baby sleep. We had a pretty treacherous week of navigating the sleep waters. I have no idea what the trouble is (teething, growth spurt, voodoo hex, normal baby mysteries). We're "solving" the problem by co-sleeping and repeating our mantra, "nothing you do the first year can spoil your baby."
We're sleepy, but to be fair, the individual most put out by the not-sleeping-shenanigans is our simple dog, Barksdale. Barksdale waits until we're asleep and then creeps into our bed and curls up into a tiny bean and pretends he's not there. I don't usually notice the 65 pound dog in the bed unless I have to get up with the baby. With 2-3 night wakings, Barksdale can be assured of several long, leisurely stretches in the bed. With wakings every hour, the dog's really getting his exercise jumping in and out of the bed.
Apparently scientists have done a study in which dogs, their owners, and a desirable treat (that the dogs were not to have) were all placed in a room. The dogs would wait til the lights were out to go after the treat because they knew the owner wasn't able to see them (or probably more like the dog thought, "I can't see you, you can't see meeee!"). This study takes place in our bedroom every night, so I feel bad for whoever had to pony up the money for that research.
[Husband]'s birthday is next week and it's actually on Thanksgiving this year. This is good for him because he greatly prefers pie to cake. How many years do you think I can get away with no gift and just saying, 'I birthed your son" instead? 2-3? 5 tops? I was glad to do it, of course. But you have to admit, I would have a hard time topping it, so why try?
No comments:
Post a Comment