New Haven style: Cooked in a coal oven, has a very crisp crust that is thin but still typically thicker than New York pizzas. Marked by a characteristic oblong shape, often served on a sheet of waxed paper atop a plastic cafeteria tray. Thought to be the place where clam pizza was developed (Frank Pepe's). The two biggies here are Sally's and Pepe's, but there are others (notably Modern) with their adherents. New Haven partisans often argue that pizza was invented here, but I believe NYC has them beat on this claim.Sally's and Frank Pepe's seem to be the restaurants of record for New Haven Pizza. They're just about a block apart so maybe I'll try them both. ;P
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
PIZZA (or Apizza?)
I'm on the train on the way to New Haven for recruiting tomorrow. New Haven has it's own distinct and famous pizza style so that's first on my to do list when the train get's in. I mean, I forgot my Jillian DVD and my Citrix token, so it's not like I have anything else to do.
The opportunity to try New Haven pizza is so exiciting to me because 1) I like food 2) I like food that pairs well with beer 3) last year I got to eat at Mystic Pizza in Mystic, Connecticut (I KNOW! And they are playing the movie on all their TVs all the time!) 4) I am going to Chicago in October and will get to try yet ANOTHER style of pizza I'm not familiar with.
I've had pizza in NYC too, but haven't been to any notable pizza spots that I'm aware of.
Here's the definition of New Haven Apizza from Serious Eats:
Labels:
food
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mmmmm...although it's only just after 11am, I'm DYING for some pizza. Care to bring me back a slice or 7? :)
ReplyDelete