Saturday, October 15, 2011

I Heard There Was a Pumpkin Shortage...

...so Tuesday at the grocery store, I bought 10 cans of pumpkin. Just wanted to stock up in case the rumors are true. We cannot POSSIBLY have Thanksgiving at our house without one of [Husband's] pumpkins pies (bottom right of the photo below).



 Today, I heard about a recipe on Pinterest for homemade pumpkin spice syrup. A small amount of detective work (aka going to Pinterest and typing in "homemade pumpkin spice syrup") yielded 246,500 pins, presumably all linking back to recipes for homemade pumpkin spice syrup. I very scientifically determined that the prettiest picture must indicate the best recipe and sent myself the link so I can give it a try this weekend.


The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin and fortunately I have about 300 tablespoons of canned pumpkin in my pantry right now. 

Here's the recipe I picked in case you would like to try it too.

Pumpkin Spice Syrup from Cook Like a Champion via Pinterest
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 cinnamon sticks or 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon*
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons pumpkin purée

Directions:
Combine water and sugar in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook until sugar has completely dissolved. Whisk in remaining ingredients. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Do not allow mixture to come to a boil. Strain syrup through cheesecloth into a large glass measuring cup. Transfer to bottle of your choice and store in the refrigerator.

*A note in this blogger's post said that the cinnamon sticks yield a smoother texture and thinner syrup. She has Annie's Eats in her blog roll, so I'm thinking she's pretty legit.


No comments:

Post a Comment