In order to avoid such mistakes when I travel to Richmond on November 12, I did a practice round of traveling and running by spending the night at my sister and brother-in-law's place to run a 10-miler in their neighborhood. It was a total failure.
Let's start with the list of things I forgot:
- My contact lenses (not the end of the world, but really inconvenient)
- The top to my hand-held water bottle (really?)
- Body Glide (ouch!)
- There was a fourth thing, but I am forgetting it right now (do you see the theme here?)
My original Richmond plan was to try and car-pool with some folks from my training group, but after that race I realized I might need to have my own car so I can make an emergency 8:57pm visit to a Sports Authority when I realize I have forgotten my shoes!
This morning I did a Google search for "Marathon Packing Checklist" (what ever did we do before Google??) because I need professional help!
I especially enjoy the return at the bottom for the London Marathon packing list, "english version." Do the English pack different things than Americans or do you suppose they just mean the English language version of the list?
As you can see there is a lot of professional assistance out there for me to choose from, I can't wait to start vetting the lists and select one or perhaps compile the best parts of several lists and type up my own complete with check-boxes and fancy fonts. I do love a good list.
Generally, I think I'm going to take a page out of Sweaty Emily's packing guide and bring the full complement of running gear at my disposal, just in case.*
What do you not leave home without when you travel (to a race or otherwise)?
*seriously though, it's Richmond. It could snow or there could be a hurricane or it might be 90 degrees. This is Virginia in the fall. It's a crap shoot.



Well, its been awhile since i traveled for a race, but i feel like i could write a novella about packing for anything with a child...there is SO MUCH STUFF!! we never leave home without a change of clothes and the video monitor, some books and teddy. Heaven forbid we leave teddy! Personally, I just need my phone charger and toothbrush if we're going with bare necessities.
ReplyDeleteAnd that is the 4th thing I forgot, my phone charger. And when you are using the phone as your alarm clock, that's no good at all!
ReplyDelete