The miles are more or less in, I do still have a 21 miler, a 14 -16 and another 10, but the heavy lifting and most of the physical work is done.
This week, I've started doing a few things to get myself mentally prepared. This things are somewhere between sensible preparation and ritual superstition, but I think on race day they are going to give me some comfort that I prepared every way possible for this race.So for the duration of marathon training here's what I'm doing:
- No high heels. Heels. Love 'em. The higher the better. I'm an extremist with shoes. When I'm not in running shoes, I'm either wearing non-supportive flats or 3" - 4" heels. High heels cause tightening in your calf muscles and put undue stress on your knees, toes and ankles, among other things (but they're so pretty...), so I'm trying to limit wearing them to 2-3 times a week max. The last week before the marathon, I'll probably wear running shoes all day unless I absolutely MUST wear other shoes.
- The 9:30 to 5 grind. That's 9:30pm to 5am. I have struggled in this last training cycle to get up and out on time. I'm fine rushing everywhere and being late, it only takes a sec to through on running clothes. But now that I have a better understanding of fueling and am familiar with how much better I perform when properly fueled, it's disappointing to realize I stood in my own way of having a good run or race. Richmond has an 8:30am start, so I want to get comfortable with rising at 5am so I have plenty of time to eat, drink, use my hotel room bathroom, and still get in a long warm up and some port-o-potty breaks at the start line. I'm also trying to condition myself to be ready for bed by 9:30pm too because it's no good going to bed early on race eve if I can't fall asleep because I usually go to be at 11pm. This is coming along well. I'm getting up between 5:30 and 6:30 and I think by next week, I'll be in a better groove and up at 5am. BTW, it's dark at 5:30! Daylight savings isn't til November 6!
- Lose the Booze. I have never, NEVER given up alcohol in prep for a race. Everyone has a different philosophy on this and mine has always been to do as I normally do. I know that I can't drink a whole bottle of wine the night before a run or race and expect good results, but I don't restrict for the sake of restricting. But this time I am. I'm cutting back to one drink a night max* just to keep my body on a fairly even keel. I drink coffee before I run to though, and I know a lot of people don't do that. I think I'm just special. :)
- Hitting the gym again. Usually by mid way through training, I give up on the gym altogether. Not good, but not unheard of for runners. I'm back in the gym doing some light weight lifting, stretching and ab work. Trying to get in there 2-3 days a week for the remainder of my time before Richmond.
*I do have a girl's night, Halloween and a wedding between now and November 12, so there may be some slight exceptions happening those days. I can't act like I could actually go to someones wedding and only have one drink. I mean that would just be rude...
Yassos! I've never done this but it sounds intriguing. And if you want to vom at the finish line I'll hold your hair back.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-238-244-255-624-0,00.html