Friday, May 20, 2011

National Bike to Work Day!

May is Bike to Work Month and today was National Bike to Work Day!

BTWD is quite and event in DC with "pit stops" sponsored all over Arlington, DC and parts of Maryland, with give-aways, free breakfast and t-shirts. I read that  Sport & Health in Crystal City was even opening up the locker rooms to participants as part of Crystal City's pit stop.

I geared up and left the house around 7:30am to bike in to a pit stop near my office. 


Fun Fact: If I bike in and shower at work, it's 1 hour (or less) front stoop to desk. If shower at home and  commute via bus and metro it's more like 90 minutes.

Here's the Freedom Plaza pit stop. There were free bagels and cream cheese, bananas, cereal bars and coffee.  


Tons of safety and bike care literature from groups like the Washington Bicyle Association. Now I finally know where I can and can't ride on the sidewalks in DC!

 


Free bike adjustments and safety checks from Bicycle Space.



Free t-shirts!!





And lots of BIKES. And Bike Riders!



Here's my arty iPhone shot of the Capitol dome and some bikes.


I have another post cued up for Monday on why biking to work is so great, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment