Thursday, May 19, 2011

Suh-laaad Dressing

It's just more fun if you say it suh-laaad instead of salad.

I make a really good salad dressing that has been the recipient of much critical* acclaim. Someone emailed me and asked me for the recipe today and it ended up being such a long email, I thought, oh hey, cheap blog post. So here you are. You're welcome.

You need:
2-3 lemons
olive oil
one shallot or onion
chopped garlic or garlic powder
dill (I actually am not really a big fan of dill, but I would drink this dressing it's that's good)
salt and pepper

Basically just juice the lemons, I usually use one or two (you might need two or three if you're hand squeezing the juice out), chop a little shallot or onion really fine, toss in some garlic (either the chopped fresh garlic or some garlic powder), salt and pepper and the chopped dill. Throw in the olive oil in with everything else and shake it really hard. Old jelly jars or olive jars are really good for making dressing.  You'll have to shake before using each time because the oil and juice with separate.

It usually works out that you need about 2-3 parts olive oil to 1 part lemon juice. But start by adding a little olive oil and tasting it, and just adding more olive oil till it tastes right to you.  You'll figure out your own preference.

All you really need to make a dressing is an acid and a fat, so anything that's acidic (not just vinegar!) can be mixed up this way to make a "vinaigrette." You can use OJ (either fresh squeezed or bought) in place of the lemon juice. Limes work too. The garlic, shallot, salt and pepper work with OJ and lime, but I think I would not put the dill with those juices personally.

With such high acid content, I think this would it will keep in a sealed container in the 'fridge at least a week or two. I can't guarantee that though as we usually consume this within a few days at our house because it's good on EVERYTHING. To date, I have enjoyed this on salads, grilled chicken, skirt steak, roasted asparagus, roasted potatoes, and a spoon.  

*Critics I choose to recognize and honor as critics.

1 comment:

  1. this looks delicious! I might use it and mix it really well with a squished up avocado for "thickener" :-)

    ReplyDelete