Thursday, July 14, 2011

The 2011 Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon

Running Oklahoma City is an experience that I will absolutely never forget. Between the travel and the weather and the results, it was a very different racing experience than I've had previously.  The marathon is in memory of victims of the Oklahoma City bombing and proceeds benefit the Memorial. The tagline for the race is "A Race to Remember" and oh my, was it ever.

  • I only trained for about 13 weeks for this, but I came off a nice month or so of doing some ok mileage (not to mention winning some free shoes at a fun run -- surely a sign of good things to come).
  • I used a Hal Higdon race plan which I cribbed from Hal's site (he's so my hero) and Daily Garnish's planned National Marathon training plan (before she revealed she was having a baby!). 
  • I joined the local Road Runners Spring Season (only $20!), mostly for the track workouts, and also ran with the Pacer's Fun Run groups and a couple of friends (THANK YOU), so I probably did the least solo training I've ever done and that was awesome.
  • AND I TOTALLY STUCK TO MY TRAINING PLAN. There was a big black hole where my ski vacation was, but see all the filled in squares? That's all my training!! Yay!



I actually had a work conference the week prior to the marathon, so I left DC on a Tuesday, spent a couple days in California and then headed to Oklahoma City on Friday afternoon.  My dad very kindly put me up in a hotel for the weekend, which although I guess I don't have much to escape from, was pretty darn glorious.

Saturday was an absolutely beautiful day. My dad and I headed off to the race expo to collect my number and pick up a few Clif Shots and a new pair of running sunglasses.  Frankly, I didn't think too much of the expo, it was nice, they had the standard expo stuff and vendors, but I think that I've been spoiled by expos in DC (Cherry Blossom, Marine Corps, etc.).  There were some pretty serious  running celebs in attendance though!  Read this guy's recap for the details on that. You should read it regardless, actually because it's HILARIOUS.

After dinner at the Olive Garden (oh yeah, I had red wine with dinner), I got all my gear ready and headed to bed.

This is basically the only picture from the whole weekend. 
I kind of feel like an ass about that.

The next day I woke up REALLY early. It was a 6:30am start, plus I was trying this new thing where you wake up, eat, drink, and then go back to sleep, so you have time to digest and stuff.  At 5:15 I woke up for real and slathered myself in sunscreen, put on my clothes (capris and t-shirt), did my hair and got my shoes on. My dad picked me up at 5:30am and even then, as I walked out of the hotel,  I didn't realized what a huge rookie mistake I was about to make.

You'd think if you were going to run a marathon in what is the heart of tornado alley, you'd look at the weather once or twice before the race.  Not meeeee!!!!

It didn't actually start raining until we were on the exit ramp from the highway to downtown. By the time we neared the start we were in the midst of a full on, sheets of rain, "Oh, is it hurricane season and I'm in the Outer Banks?" rain storm. I had my dad drop me off in a parking garage near the start. I figured I'd wait it out and head to the start once the rain stopped. It was the kind of hard rain that never lasts more than a few minutes anyway.

Well I'll tell ya, I sat in that garage and watched it rain and rain, and then I decided, I guess I better go ahead and warm up. And yes, I did kind of feel like a nut running laps in a parking garage. I listened to two women have a whole convo about, why wasn't the race yesterday? and who even has a marathon on a Sunday anyway? (Uh, every major running event in AMERICA is on a Sunday, practically*). Through the parking garage grapevine, I finally heard that the race was being pushed back to 7:00am to see if the storms let up some. So wow. At this point it was serious. And seriously cold. I was dressed for a range of temps from about 60 to 90. It was about 50 and falling. Fail. Even if I'd bothered to look out the window before leaving the hotel, I literally had nothing else to wear. I didn't bring anything else!

At this point I was thinking up contingencies. I had, coincidentally enough, just read this post before going to bed the night before--it crossed my mind not to run, but f-it, I came all this way? I need to run something. There were rumors in the garage that the race might be pushed back to Monday. That worked for me. My flight out wasn't til 3. Or maybe I could run and if it was terrible just downgrade to the half! Except, I had no way to relay this to my dad since I wouldn't see him til mile 11 and the half runners split off from the full at mile 8. I'm realizing now as I type this, I never considered that if it was awful, I could just walk of the course at mile 11...the cold had already addled my brain.

At 6:50am we heard that the race was on and starting at 7:00am. I dashed out and fought my way into the corral.  I stood under a nice spectators umbrella for a few minutes trying to stay dry til I started moving and got warm.  This was when I realized I was truly in deep shit in terms of my clothing. I was going to be drenched pretty quick and I was going to be cold right after that. I started watching other runners in the corral waiting for someone to take off their trash bag** and managed to snag one right before the gun went off.  And at 7am, in all my garbage bag glory and to the strains of U2's "It's a Beautiful Day," I took off running.

We'll move to a mile-by-mile format now.

Mile 1-3:  I spotted a hat on the street in about the first 700 yards. I was thinking clearly enough to grab it off the road for later. I wrung it out (seriously) and attached it to my sports bra to let it dry out awhile in trash bag. If you want to hear about my mile 1 bathroom adventures, I'm happy to share. It's funny, but I just can't put that on the internets.


Mile 3-8: I finally see a mile-marker at mile 3 and realize, WHOA HOSS. You are running a nine minute mile. NOT the plan. I actually kept up a good clip for the first half of the race.  I couldn't find any of the pace groups until about mile 4...when I ran into the back of the 4:15 pace group.  These miles consisted mostly  of rain, more rain, and some rain. I actually wore my sunglasses the entire marathon to keep the rain out of my eyes.

Miles 8-13.1: I hung with the 4:15 pace group for the first half of the marathon. The pace felt great, until my calves (or what I thought was my calve muscles) started to get tight. I started to stop and stretch pretty frequently around mile 8. I was also running right along side this awesome guy who must have been about 65 and running for a soldier killed in Iraq. He had tattoos (marathon and military) all over the back of his legs. I spent a lot of time staring at his legs through these hills. Generally, the highlights of these miles were hills, more hills, rain and more hills!  It was a lot hillier than I was expecting and I think that's what caused the tightness.

I met my dad at mile 11. He race crewed for me and kept me going with peanut butter sandwiches. I had found during training that even an 8 miler left me ravenously hungry, so we had pre-determined stops where he'd hand me a sandwich. My dad is giving me some great encouragement and he says, "Don't worry, the course is all down hill from here."  We had driven the course the day before and I had noticed that the generally trajectory of the first half was up and the second half was down, so I took some comfort in that.

Miles 13.1 to 16: I totally blanked on buying a pace band at the race expo, so the night before the race I wrote out the pacing for a 4:30 marathon on my arm in ball point pen. Hey, guess what doesn't work so well when it pours rain on your marathon? Writing your pace points on your arm in ball point pen.  And before you start to think I'm exaggerating about the rain, check out this video from the race.



Did you see the rain in those first couple frames? That's how it was the ENTIRE race. Don't ask me why you can't see the rain as well in the rest of  the video. I swear to you, it poured! The whole time!

Back to the point here, when I realized my "pace band" wasn't making it to the end of the race, I picked a few points to memorize 13.1 (2:15) and mile 23 (4  hours) being two of them. Then I'd at least have some way to know if I was still on track. I made the halfway mark in 2:06, technically making it my fastest half marathon to date. I was really proud of myself at that point and felt that even if the rest of the race was a disaster, I had accomplished something huge.

Shortly after the halfway mark, the race course turns away from town and skirts the edge of Lake Hefner following a paved recreation trail similar to the W&OD.  This was slightly hilarious to me, the idea of running a marathon on the W&OD because can you imagine if Marine Corps went on the W&OD what that would be like?  I'm in no way trying to put down the OKC 26.2, but it was kind of funny to me. Did I mention I was still running in a trashbag at this point?

Around mile 15, I caught up with a pack of 40 year old guys and started following them. A ski instructor once told me, "Don't be afraid of the hot dog snowboarders or the 20-something hot shot skiers, you need to watch out for the packs of middle-aged men. One of them decides to try something dumb and then they all have to do it and innocent bystanders will suffer. These are the guys you need to be afraid of." These were my guys. They dragged me along for a few miles and kept me in the game. Where ever they are, I owe them one.

Miles 16 to 20: At this point I distinctly remember thing, what the HELL? It is SO not all down hill from mile 11. Crap. LIAR.

Somewhere around mile 16 it also ceased to rain. For about 20 minutes. I was so wet and cold anyway though, I went ahead and ditched my trash bag though. I had my hat and sunglasses, I was doing all right. 

It was during these miles I also noticed some cool things about the race course. 1) whole section of the course have those lamppost banners, you know the kind that say "Avenue of the Arts" or "The Gay-borhood," there was one for each person killed in the Oklahoma City bombing,. I don't mean to be all weepy or creepy, but it pulled me through a good section of these miles just running banner to banner and saying the person's name to myself.  Also, the every mile of the course is permanently marked. It's pretty cool that every step of the way is marked all the time.

This is from the 2010 Marathon. That's why it's not raining.

 I had slowed up my pace a good bit in the second half of the race. I was also stopping every mile to walk and stretch. I just couldn't get my left leg stretched out and feeling right. Internet research later revealed to me, it was my Achilles that was tight, not my calf, hence why I couldn't get stretched out.  Regardless, I was still keeping up a nice clip for me. 

I met my dad again at mile 20 for another sandwich, this one had jelly! At mile 20 in the marathon, it's the little things.

Miles 20-24: I have a few really specific memories of these miles:

  • Usually you shake your shoulders out and kind of flail your arms around like wet noodles to give yourself a "posture break" during long runs. I distinctly remember shaking my arms out and slapping my lower arms because they were cold and numb.
  • Mile 23 was the last spot I had a time goal for since at that point my ball point pen pace band was a distant memory. I remember repeating to myself again and again, as long as you make it to mile 23 in under 4 hours, nothing else matters. You can walk the rest of the damn thing if you want. And that will still be a PR Nothing after mile 23 matters. 
  • It started to thunder and lightening pretty heavily and I was a little worried. I start scoping out low points along the course where I could dive in case of lighting (what?). I was simultaneously concerned about diving into a dirty puddle (because I wasn't already wet OR dirty) and thinking, if they close the course NOW because of the weather, I will cut a bitch.
 Mile 25: It hailed. That's pretty much all I have to say about that.

But then I rounded a corner and saw the fire fighters who walked the half-marathon in full turnout gear. That gave me a boost. I had seen then before the start and was really amazed and touched by what they were planning to do.

Mile 26 to 26.2
To my dad's credit, the last little bit was downhill. It was glorious. And so was my time.

bib number: 1437
gender: F
location: Arlington, VA
overall place: 1064 out of 2511
division place: 68 out of 208
gender place: 288 out of 986
time: 4:27:31
pace: 10:13
"10k": 59:29:00
"15k": 1:29:49
"half": 2:06:47
"27k": 2:42:28
"32k": 3:18:58



































I ran the second half significantly slower the first (a 2:06 half versus a 2:21 half), but I know that was 90%  the weather and not being able to get my leg stretched out (it was like running on a peg leg for parts of the race) and maybe 3% going out too fast, but I have to say I have barely given it a second thought, because getting this time in spite of the conditions makes me excited about what I can do under better circumstances.
















I stopped to have my picture taken.

Check out that hat, that's a pretty sweet hat I got off the street for Free Ninety Nine.

Why am I standing like that? Because the photographer needed my race number in the picture and my cold brain could only process that request as "turn your leg in all weird" instead of "turn your body."

It was too cold and I was too wet to linger much longer. I got my mylar blanket and then went to look for my dad, who I located very quickly. God bless him, he brought me a towel and I think was really worried about how cold I was. It's likley I was bluer than I appear in the picture above. He said it had such a great time running around to our meet-up spots and watching me and that he was so proud of me and my time.  That's why I feel like such a jerk for not having any pictures of us from the whole weekend! When I mentioned it to my dad later, he said, don't worry, we'll get pictures at the next one. :)

 Here's the medal, which is pretty awesome as race medals go.

Back at the hotel, I took my first ever ice bath, which TOTALLY worked. My recovery was lightening fast from this marathon. I also spent some time in the hotel hot tub followed by an extremely indulgent Mexican feast with fishbowl margaritas. It was totally glorious.

I am so proud of this race. I think in the future, I too will opt not to run in the rain like that again, but it was the right choice this time. I loved being able to do this with my dad and have him help me and spend the time with him. And the Oklahoma City Marathon just gets my seal of approval generally. It was a small marathon with a big time feel. The City and it's people are so invested in this race and it shows. Sure, MCM is great because there are spectators everywhere and it's awesome. But I'm telling you,  there was an inch of this course that wasn't supported, even in the terrible weather. Even if it was just a dad in a minivan with some kids, waiting for mom to run by, there was someone there cheering for you. I would highly recommend this race to anyone.

The thing I'm probably second most proud of is that I stuck with my "training" after the race because usually I have an excuse.  In 2008, it was "uh, I just ran a marathon, I never have to exercise again."  And in 2009, I just needed a break between my job and training and our wedding. But this year, I couldn't wait to get back out there. I think I signed up for Richmond and booked my hotel the evening after finishing OKC.  I used Hal Higdon's Zero Week and recovery week schedules and I was running again about 4 or 5 days later. I'm so pumped by the progress I've made by continuing to run and train, I can't wait for Richmond on November 12!!

We had some friends over for dinner the other night and I told a slightly abridged (I think) version of the story and I remember saying at the end that I imagine I'll be telling this epic tale for a few years to come and by the time I'm 85, I'll be saying it hailed the entire 26 miles...This one was definitely a race to remember.



*I know, not Boston. You got me there. But still...
**Trash bags are the savy runner's perfect pre-race accessory. It keeps you 1) warm 2) dry and it's disposable!

2 comments:

  1. I love the "easy 6" days. lol I remember how ridiculously excited I was on the days we'd have an easy 8 kinda night training for the Marine Corps. Only a person crazy enough to run a marathon (or several!) gets excited about an easy night of only 6 miles hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing. And you and Jenna are both a little crazy with your "easy 6 or easy 8". :) But I'm thinking more and more about doing a half. We'll see! Um, and FREE NINETY NINE!!! Best phrase and best hat ever!

    ReplyDelete