Wednesday, January 26, 2011
The Most Delicious Thing You Aren't Doing In the Kitchen (Yet)
Winter is such a struggle for vegetables. It's the season of totally weird and unfamiliar vegetables and of $5 tomatoes (an other out of season, more familiar veggies).
Cauliflower is very readily available right now, not to mention, mega cheap ($1.79 a head at Harris Teeter this week), but completely BORING. Did everyone else grow up eating steamed cauliflower as a kid. Boring. It's not even pretty; I have a thing about food all being the same color. My nightmare diner is a piece of fish, white rice and cauliflower because it's a WHOLE PLATE OF WHITE FOOD.
A few weeks ago though, I roasted cauliflower for the first time (Thanks, Mark Bittman) and wow! SO much better! Chop the head of cauliflower up into pieces, toss with a smidge of olive oil, grind in some pepper and salt, roast on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes or so at 400-ish. Yum! So easy, so inexpensive, so delicious. It's still not brightly colored, but I'll take it.
I found this blog post today that explains roasting it nicely and includes a few more things to toss your cauliflower with to make it even MORE exciting. Enjoy!
Labels:
food
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That sounds awesome! And we're always looking for new ways to make the same veggies interesting.
ReplyDeleteDelicious! I'm always looking to try new things!
ReplyDeleteI'm a huge fan of roasted veggies. We do this with broccoli and add a sprinkling of lemon or lime juice. It's DELICIOUS. :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't tried this with broccoli yet, but I remember that one of [Husband's] roommates used to roast broccoli in the toaster over! I have to try that sometime.
ReplyDelete