Monday, January 3, 2011
WINE
By sheer good luck a friend of mine came in to possession of a very very nice bottle of Robert Mondavi Cab Sav. This friend of mine is such a GOOD friend, she actually invited me over to drink it with her.
We made a big production out of it, opening the bottle to let it "breathe" while we made dinner, looking it up on any wine site we could find on it (94% cab sav, 6% cab franc, 94 points from Wine Enthusiast, best now - with decanting - through 2017!), and reading all about Robert Mondavi (who is a bit of a "man, myth, legend" - much more than Mondavi jug wine and Woodbridge) on Wikipedia to increase the anticipation of drinking it.
I think my favorite description we read was that the tannins are "generous and chewy." And indeed the were. It was fantastic, we really enjoyed it, but I have to admit (we both said this), we know it's good, but we don't know why. I can tell you a the difference between a $5 bottle and a $20 bottle, but I can't really tell why this Mondavi is better than the $20.
It was a really cool Christmas indulgence to be treated to such a delicious bottle of wine. And lest you think we are wine snobs, we drank a leftover bottle of red and some $5 "chuck" from TJs immediately after.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love how this post is just called WINE. It made me laugh when I saw it in my Reader.
ReplyDelete