In honor of Valentine's Day I watched the Bachelor last night. Actually, the truth is, [Husband] was watching the Caps game upstairs so the TV was momentarily NOT dominated by hockey and Mythbusters and I took the opportunity to get in some brain-rotting wonderfulness.
I have a few observations/thoughts that kept running through my head last night:
- Watching these women chase after this man this way just makes me think of lab rats in a cage, fighting over cheese.
- Another scenario that comes to mind is an oldie but a goodie: Remember that guy in college who used to, like, kinda act like he liked you? Like sometimes he'd make out with you, but then he'd pretend not to see you in the caf, or call/IM you on break but not actually want to talk to you--I will skip the long-winded description of this guy and just direct you here--and you're like WHY DOESN'T HE LOVE ME, WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME, WHAT"S WRONG WITH HIM, I MUST SUCK, WHY DOESN'T HE LOVE ME? And then he dates a girl in your dorm and they have this crazy hot and heavy relationship for 3 years, except she's actually your next door neighbor AND in your sorority and you're like, WHAT? I don't get it.
- Alternatively, it reminds me of the scenario above except when all your hall-mates have a crush on the same guy and you stalk his regular carrel on the third floor of Swem and your roommate likes to wait in your room till she knows he's walking to class and then it turns out he's [insert undesirable trait here: Mormon, gay, just not that into you or any of your friends, dating a girl back home who you later heard he married].
- The whole swimsuit cover date, was kind of badass. That would be pretty sweet, honestly. But that needed to either be a one-on-one date or all 6 of the remaining girls needed to be there to spread the animosity around some more. It was still way badass. If [Husband] took me on that date, I would so marry him/want him to give me a rose.
- Why are you angry when you get kicked off? You knew someone was leaving. It's a reality show!
It's just reality tv, but I can't help, but think about the deeper sociological questions that the Bachelor (and other shows like it) present unintentionally. I once uttered the phrase, "a close reading of the Twilight series" so take my sociological take on reality TV for what you will.
Prior to the Bachelor I watched Watson's debut on Jeopardy against Ken Jennings and that other guy. Was anyone else pissed that they only played the FIRST round? REALLY? The game ended at 7:53pm and then there were 7 minutes of terrible commercials. And after The Bachelor, I watched a PBS documentary called "Girls" about how adolescent girls form relationships and attachments. It was like a mash up Teen Mom and True Life, but with out the undue glorification, so it was a real intellectual evening in the S* household.
After that I did dishes and made cookies, so what does that say about me?
"I once uttered the phrase, "a close reading of the Twilight series" so take my sociological take on reality TV for what you will." HA! Totally made me laugh out loud at the coffee shop.
ReplyDeleteAlso, "Watson's debut on Jeopardy against Ken Jennings and that other guy. " Exactly. Who IS this person?