Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Centsational Girl Made Me Do It...

...or What Else I've Been Doing Beside Baking. For quite awhile, I've been studying Centsational Girl's blog and trying to gather the courage to try spray painting some stuff around the house. I finally did this week, though I guess what really spurred me to to go ahead and give it a shot, was that we decided to finish painting out spare bedroom. Long story short, we had a very brief period of time to get the spare room upstairs painted between old roommates moving out and new roommates moving in, so we decided to do just one wall, the wall on which two bookcases would eventually reside. Our reasoning was it would be better to get that wall painted, get the bookcases in place and worry about the rest later. Moving bookcases full of books=no bueno. We buy all our paint at Duron, which while not as economical, allows us to store our colors under our account, so we can be sure we always buy the right thing. They were having a sale two weekends ago so we decided to suck it up already and buy the paint and paint the room. This past weekend, I finished up the trim and decided, well, as long as all the drop clothes are out, might as well give this spray painting thing a shot. I sat down and re-read pretty much EVERY post Centsational Girl has written on spray paint, and um, there are a lot of them. This occupied a good bit of the afternoon. If you're interested, I would start with Spray Painting: Pros & Cons, Spray Paint FAQs, and her Vimeo demonstrating good spray can technique. I think I was a little afraid of messing up and "ruining" everything, so I just kept reading and reading and reading, trying to master the art of spray painting solely through research and reading. But really, this is what I started with: Free Ikea chair and desk abandoned by not one, but two former roommates. Even if I messed up, well...when you're at the bottom there's only one place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment