Friday, July 8, 2011

Ice Cream and Popsicles

A couple years ago I had a hankering to make home-made popsicles.  After some unsuccessful attempts at executing my "vision" with plastic cups and recycled popsicle sticks, I purchased I this popsicle mold set on Amazon for about $15.


Admittedly, it's sat in our cabinet and gathered dust for a good bit of the last several years, but it's one of those kitchen gadgets that when you need  (want) it, you're really glad you have it!
I bought a watermelon at Giant on Tuesday night and last night finally had a chance to carve it up and test out this watermelon popsicle recipe from the Kitchn.

Watermelon Popsicles
makes 10-15, depending on size
6 cups cubed watermelon, seeds and rind removed (about 4 pounds)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon freshly grated lime zest

It only took about a quarter of the watermelon, diced and blended to fill my six molds (full disclosure, I topped the sixth one off pretty heavily with straight lime juice because I didn't feel like slicing and blending anymore). Also, I think the sieve step is pretty necessary. There is juice and then kind of a chunky watermelon foam that develops when you blend the fruit. I think they'd separate out in the molds and you'd end up with something a bit off once frozen. Our lines weren't looking the best and I wasn't real interested in zesting lat night, so I didn't add the zest.  I put them in the freezer last night around 10pm, so I'll a have to report back on how they turned out.

So what inspired me to pull out the ol' popsicle molds and try my hand at it again? We had a work function last week with dessert catered by Pleasant Pops.  This is a local food truck that does popsicles inspired by traditional Mexican Paletas. And they are AMAZING.  The popsicles are just delicious and the flavor combinations are really interesting and exciting. 

photo from Pleasantpops.com

To date, I have had: Strawberry, Thai Coconut Curry, Pineapple Basil, Sweet Cream Corn, Strawberry Ginger Lemonade.  Pleasant pops does the local farmer's marker circuit in addition to curb-side stops, so if you're in DC, you should check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment