Two things about both of these statements though, what does it MEAN to LOOK like you want the job? And while I believe in dressing for the job you want, I don't always like it. Believe me, there are some days where it take a lot to muster the effort. This morning on my commute into the city, I saw a girl who was clearly on her way to the office, chatting with a friend or co-worker on the metro. What struck me about her was her commuting footwear. Now DC is not known for being particularly fashion forward. I think this picture says about all there is to say about DC, fashion and commuting:
Yeah.
Anyway, back to my metro friend. She was commuting in flip-flops. It's January. And 35 degrees. Flip-flops might be comfy, might be easy, might be gender neutral footwear aka not oppressive to women, but in this situation they make you look incompetent. Call me shallow and harsh, but if you can't use good judgement with regards to footwear, I'm going to be a bit concerned about your ability to use good judgement when you're working for/with me. Yikes.
Corporette did an interesting post awhile ago about a study that looked at the correlation between make up and perceived competence. I think it kind of gets at what I'm saying above. Do you feel less confidence in the "under-made-up" woman that she will pay attention to detail, be professionally polished, know how to act with clients?
![]() |
| Who would you want to be the face of your company? But really, all kidding aside. I bet your answer will surprise you. |
When I read Caitlin's post yesterday, I thought about the reaction I had to the woman on the metro this morning, and then I began thinking about the things I do (or don't do) and why: specifically hair and make-up.


No comments:
Post a Comment