Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cozy traditional living room

Cozy traditional living room




Our house is a work in a progress.  We're sort of trapped in a home decor purgatory that exists after Ikea, but before Pottery Barn.  We are fortunate enough to own, so we paint (a lot) and put holes in the wall (with gusto).  I am still trying to wrap my mind around the design philosophy that home decor and design is fluid and a work in progress, and it's ok for it to be ever changing.  You can't decorate a room or a house with things you love in a weekend, it takes time (or else a LOT of money) and I know I'll drive myself crazy trying to ever "finish" the house. 

However, our living room is one room that I would really like to have closer to the "finished" side of the spectrum than the "work in progress" die. To me, finished will mean, less Ikea furniture, a home for all the necessities and items we use on a daily basis, and for the room to feel streamlined and be functional.  The big items we want to tackle to make these goals a reality are 1) better storage for our glassware and china 2) end tables! and 3) curtains or some sort of window covering.
[Husband] revealed to me when we were looking at china cabinets in the Leesburg ReStore a few months ago that he prefers traditional style furniture.  And he means traditional -- finials on top of cabinets, colonial, carved legs, Ethan Allen, etc. etc. traditional. I almost fainted because we own a relatively modern couch from West Elm, a thoroughly modern coffee table from C+B and again, a houseful of IKEA furniture.  At first this seemed like a real dilemma.  We don't have a unanimous voting procedure for decor decisions like John and Sherry at YHL.  In fact most design decisions involve one of us cajoling the other until he/she gives in and then either learning to live with it, decide to love it, or use it as a bargaining chip in the next design decision, a la I let you paint that room green, we're not buying that chair in THAT print. 

But after thinking about it for awhile, I realized, we have a DIRECTION now! Hurrah and I didn't have think of it all by myself.  The colors we lean toward and the basic, if somewhat modern furniture pieces we have, I think, almost lend themselves to having one or two more traditional items as the statement pieces in the room.  Throw in some more traditional prints and textiles, and I think we may have something.  Eventually the Billy Bookcases will have to go, but for now I guess we'll make do. 

Anyway, this is a long way of saying that the above is what I'm thinking for our living room. I have seen these neutral buffalo check curtains a few places and I think they could look kind of cool in our living room.  That's our couch, though ours is slightly lighter, and we do own that rug.  [Husband] really likes these pedestal style end tables, and it would work well in our space, so I'm on the look out for one or two.  We are on the hunt for a dining room hutch and buffet and hope to find one in a similar style and dark wood stain as the one shown above.  The lamps are from World Market and I admire them whenever I'm in there.  I should probably pick them up sometime!  We might have room for an arm chair, and although we probably don't need something else dark, I think a leather chair would add a nice finishing touch to the whole room.  The wall color on the main level where all this would exist is Ralph Lauren's Chimayo Red (color matched at Home Depot natch).

What do you think? Too crazy with checks and flowers? Mixing patterns is not my strong suit, but I understand it can be done according to all the pictures I see on the Internets!  And I only discovered TODAY that you can make ROOMS on Polyvore and not just outfits with it! Pinterest and Polyvore, you'll be the end of me!


Target Fieldcrest Jacobean Floral Rug
$35 - target.com (this must be the 2x3 runner because I remember paying a pretty penny for this).

Eastport Buffet with Hutch Top
$3,348 - crateandbarrel.com (Right, I would never pay this much for a single piece of furnitre).

Henry Sectional | west elm
$399 - westelm.com (got ours on sale! wooo!)

IKEA Billy
$290 - ikea.com (I love you/hate you).

IKEA Ystad
$599 - ikea.com (Really, Ikea? You be crazy if you think I will pay you $600 for a CHAIR.)

Newberry Pedestal Side Table | Pottery Barn
516 CAD - potterybarn.com (Heart the table, not the price).

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love the blog! And I'm glad that I'm not the only who sometimes struggles with home decor, especially mixing patterns (which, to my naive & untrained eye, your selection looks really fantastic!). My hubby & I are both relatively simple, with solid colors for the big things (paint, couch, sheets, cabinets) & patterns in the smaller things (back splash, pillows, quilts, rugs). We like simple, but cozy. We own our house but don't plan to be in this house for more than a few more years, so I've really struggled to rein in on any big home decor projects, hoping to save my energy 'til we're in a potential "forever" house.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete