Thursday, January 12, 2012

Some Observations on Money

When I was in college I remember calling my mom to say "I can't pay my sorority dues this semester, money is just so tight...can you loan me $XXX. I will absolutely pay you back."

I don't think I ever actually needed the money for dues, but I wasn't scamming for (just) beer money either -- it was probably groceries and stuff among other things. I always felt like if I asked for money for something that was highly optional, she'd say no if she had to say no.  Of course in retrospect, she never said no (to this or other similar requests)..and I mean that in the best way, I never wanted for anything in my life.

I also remember struggling through with the same pair of contacts for MONTHS on end telling myself I couldn't "afford" new lenses. Never mind that my credit cards statements typically looked something like this:

GREENE LEAFE
PAUL'S DELI
WAWA

Repeat for 2-4 pages in length.

I won't even tell you about the time I wore one contact lens for about 4 months...though to my credit, I would put it in my known weaker eye and my prescription has gotten increasingly less severe over the years. Yay!


Oh my. So what brought on this reflective moment?  I got a bit of a pay raise today and I wrote [Husband] and email about it. The email concluded with the following line:

"The good news is, we'll be able to buy a new refrigerator over Memorial Day just like we planned!"

My, how things have changed. From beer money and single contact lenses to planning extremely sensible purchases at least six months in advance.  It's funny to contemplate all this, but I'm also kind of proud of the progress I've clearly made from 18 to 28. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment