Monday, October 4, 2010
Do you subscribe to Marie-Claire? If you do, please consider cancelling your subscription.
I have never been a "Cosmo Girl," I never really read Seventeen. They were never really for me. How many times can you read about, "Make it Hot in Bed! 10 New Tricks!" or "Get a Bikini Body NOW"? It was a level of superficiality that I have never been particularly compelled to indulge in much. I will occasionally pick up a Vogue or Glamour or something at the airport, who doesn't love a little in-flight "light reading?" One magazine I will not be picking up ever again is Marie Claire.
Marie Claire published this article in the November issue. It centers around the "Big Six" (I've been reading some of these blogs for the last couple years and have never heard this term) and alleges that these women are presenting a front of healthy lifestyle talk, meanwhile modeling risky food and fitness behaviors, and encouraging (driving?) readers to imitate them.
I realize that MANY of the articles published by Marie Claire and its competitors are sensationalized and dramatized, but the fact that a magazine for women would go this far as to totally degrade and tear-down a community of women writers whose goal is to inspire others to love themselves, and live healthy, happy, WHOLE lives, by misquoting and willfully misinterpreting their blogs, books, and daily lives is beyond me. Sensationalizing the work of these women in a negative manner to make a deadline and sell a magazine is the worst kind of laziness.
I have been reading Healthy Tipping Point and Eat, Live, Run, for about 2 years now and do occasionally peruse the blogs of the other women discussed in the article. What I get out of it is knowing that there are others out there who 1) struggle (to varying degrees) with being honest about who they are, what they want, and how they want to live, 2) that there are women out there who aren't perfect, and aren't afraid to admit it, and don't beat themselves up about it and 3) work every day to be the person they want to see in both the literal and figurative mirror. Yes, the nuts and bolts of writing is about food and exercise, but in the end, it's all about finding a path to living the fullest, happiest life you can. Reading about another woman's journey only encourages me on mine!
If you are not familiar with the bloggers in the article, I strongly encourage you to check out their sites, read the article, and then make your own decision. Don't be surprised if afterward you end up as angered as I am now.
Bloggers:
Healthy Tipping Point (be sure to check out Operation Beautiful too)
Kath Eats Real Food
Eat, Live, Run
Meal & Miles
Hangry Pants
Carrots 'N' Cake
Marie Claire Article
The Hunger Diaries
Feeling incensed?
Contact the editor via e-mail at joannacoles@hearst.com. You can also comment on their Facebook wall. ( I SO almost want to reactivate my Facebook account so I can comment...).
Labels:
work out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I actually stopped reading all of those blogs and The Fitnessista except for HTP (I like her Healthy Tipping Point articles with random readers) because I thought they were all too compulsive and obsessive. Also really "faddy" - if one of them tries a bike race/new almond butter/any random product then you could expect to read about it 43803 times over the next month as they all copy each other. I can see how you'd be mad though! The article held nothing back!
ReplyDeleteYep, I agree with that a good bit, which why HTP and ELR are the only ones I consistently read. I do cruise the others though because I like to see different perpectives.
ReplyDeleteAnd you have to be a little OCD to photograph every meal! I tried (when we were snowed in last year), and it requires waaaay too much effort for me.
I just feel this was blatantly bad journalism...and yeah, I guess I just called Marie-Claire journalism.