Friday, October 29, 2010

Well Begun Is Half Done

I am what might be categorized as a pathological procrastinator. About EVERYTHING. I have made significant headway since this major part of my character reared it's ugly head at age 6 (when I started taking piano lessons), but I struggle with it. It's less about papers and piano practice now than it was 15 years ago, and more about voicemails and work projects (you know things that start as "to do" and become "must do" and then "shit that's a problem") these days. I simply DREAD doing certain things. Voicemail, you are truly my nemesis. Today in typically fashion, I was choosing to do some completely optional organizing in between some less optional, less fun tasks. I have a label maker for the office now, and I have been going to town with it ALL DAY. I have labeled all essential files and drawers, set up labeled folders for day-to-day tasks and now I'm just getting silly with it. I made a label for my Burt's Bees. It now says "VKS" in very authoritative lettering. Then I decided I was going to type out one of my favorite quotes that I regularly use to try and combat my procrastination, and stick the label in a prominent spot on my desk. So I tap out "Well Begun Is Half Done." and stick it up on my desk. For me, once I just START something I dread doing, it's not usually that bad. Or at least not as bad as I thought it would be. Sometimes said dreaded task ends up being a positively ok experience. The label is a fairly visible place on my desk, other people will see it. And with the number of nosy nellies around here, I'm sure to hear some gems of comments on it. I figured I better double check whose words they are, so at least if I have this lame label quote on my desk, I know who said it. Any guesses? Aristotle. Oh yeah. I totally thought that was a Mary Poppins original. You learn something everyday.

3 comments:

  1. I'm also a HUGE procrastinator...my lists grow sub-lists, and then I have to highlight what I ACTUALLY need to do. It's rough. Mr. says I'm great taking initiative and thinking of new ideas...not so much on the follow through...oops!

    And VMs? I hate them. Enter Google Voice--my hero. That way I can READ my VMs instead of actually listening to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of hate email too, but there is absolutely something more comfortable about READING whatever someone wants from you than being verbally assaulted by your voicemail/cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate voicemails so much that DR. F insisted that I make it my New Year's resolution for 2010 to check my voicemail more regularly. I lasted about 1 month.

    ReplyDelete