Thursday, December 30, 2010

Old Blog, New Year

Before I deleted my old blog, I archived all the entries on my computer. I was able to sift through and locate my New Year's Resolution post from 2010. I thought it would be interesting to look it over and see what I did or didn't (mostly didn't?) accomplish.
  • Use the public library more. Done! I have also kindly helped the county out with some late fees too. Bonus for me. I hope to continue this trend in 2011.
  • NOT read as many trashy novels. 2009 was the year of Bergdorf Blondes & Shopaholic among other assorted crap. I'm going to try and stimulate my mind, not kill it in 2010. I am off to a good start already, more on that later. D0ne. I'm actually in the middle of some Edith Wharton and John Steinbeck right now.
  • Say hello to people. My S.O.P. is to dive into the nearest alley or nook to avoid people. I'm going to try to just get over myself and say hello to people. No. I think this is just not in my nature.
  • Run 20 miles a week at minimum. I am giving myself three weeks to get up to speed on this. I'm in week two and have about 4 more days to crank out at least 10 miles. Work in progress, that's really all I have to say about that.
  • Run a sub-2:10 half-marathon. I bailed on nearly every race I signed up for in 2010. I have plans and high hopes for 2011, and I know I have a sub-2:10 in me.
  • Run the NYC Marathon. I have no control over this at this point. I signed up, just cross your fingers that I get in. Didn't get in for 2010, but am going to try again this year.
  • Not cry at work...oh wait...not cry at work for the rest of the year. YES. DONE. Hurrah!
  • Convince work to give me an office. I have about 25% control over this. Not happening. Ever.
  • Make plans with a different friend every month. I am bad about not seeing people, especially if I don't cross paths with them on a regular basis (hello, Sarah V.). :) I'm giving myself half-credit here.
  • Spend smarter: 1) bring lunch 2) don't buy coffee out 3) Make dining out less about sheer laziness--aka all non-breakfast meals on Saturdays and Sundays should not be eaten at Chipotle and/or Baja Fresh--and more about a special meal out. Yes on the coffee. I do feel like I SIGNIFICANTLY cut back on my coffee purchases this year. Though I do have a $3.91 Starbucks drink in front of me as I type. But overall yes, and this continues to be an area I'm working on and making progress in.
  • Plan better: Instead of dropping a gazillion dollars the week before that wedding/activity/thing we know we have 6 months from now, PLAN FOR IT. Yes, getting better, but not there yet. I got Quicken for Christmas and am looking forward to installing it and working with it to better use/save our money.
  • Choose to be less stressed. 65% of my stress is self-induced. Mmm, another work in progress. I have found there are somethings, people, stuff, tendencies I have had to par down on to achieve this, so I'm getting there.
  • Say "no" more often. Yes, I think I did well with this.
  • Run a race with [Husband]. I have some control over this, though perhaps not as much as I would like. :P Yes! Two in fact! Army 10 Miler AND a turkey trot!
  • Spend more time with Charlotte. I think we did! We did all the holidays with them and I vacationed with them twice this year. We have plans to baby sit more this year too.
  • Plan and take at least 3 day-hikes. Total Fail. I did buy hiking shoes though.
  • Try 3 new restaurants. Sort of, I went to Bibiana, Lyon Hall and Eventide, but only one of those was with [Husband].
Not to shabby for 365 days. I'm not really sure what I want to think about for 2011. Not as much comes to mind as last year. I know the restaurant resolution will stand! We just got the Washingtonian restaurant issue. I wonder how booked Palena is going to be be for the next 6 months!

1 comment:

  1. I think I might steal a couple ideas from here - I loooooove the idea of using the library!

    ReplyDelete