Thursday, December 16, 2010
Things that Restore My Faith in Humanity (and a few that don't)
I was going to write a post entitled something like "Metro - Six Zillion, McV - Zero," but even I think listening to me complain is boring so I thought I'd write about something nicer.
I did have a hellacious time getting to work yesterday thanks to metro. It ranks in my top 5 all-time worst ever commutes for sure. The upside was that since the trains were basically useless, I got to take the a bus that I don't often get to ride. It starts along the Orange Line and heads into the city via Georgetown. It's what I consider a "real" commuter line with lots of regular riders versus the grab bag assembly of humanity that rides the bus lines I frequent. The driver recognized many of the passengers as they boarded and greeted in a friendly, familiar way. That was nice to see. I would usually be really annoyed by the time and trouble it took to get to work yesterday, but the bus was cozy, I love going over the Key Bridge, and watching the bus driver talk to everyone just made me feel good.
After my awesome commute home (awesome in that it only took only slightly less time and trouble than my commute in), I went to Harris Teeter around 7pm with [Husband] to pick up somethings for cookies and other special Christmas treats. 9:30 rolled around and we finally started putting the groceries away and realized we left a whole bag at the store! It was expensive stuff (nuts for baking, parsley and the pre-sliced carrot chips), so I bundled up and drove BACK to Harris Teeter to see if I could get my groceries back and hopefully not have to buy them AGAIN.
Wouldn't you know the Customer Service Guy was super nice! He said, "Oh, I just put those groceries away! I figured after 2 hours, you weren't coming back. Go ahead and grab everything." So I left my receipt and trotted off to get my goods. When I came back, he had checked over my receipt and pointed to me that we had left all the canned items we purchased too. And it wasn't like 1 or 2 cans, it was SIX cans of tomatoes and beans. I can't believe we left all that! So off I trotted again to retrieve my items.
I was ready to walk into Harris Teeter and fight for my pre-sliced carrots and parsley, and I was pleasantly surprised, relived and grateful that I didn't have to in the end. Thank you, Customer Service Guy.
And now it's snowing! Kind of awesome when the universe aligns to show you it's NOT out to get you, and people actually are capable of so much kindness.
Merry Christmas!
Labels:
food,
Nothin' in particular
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh happy day! :) xoxo!
ReplyDeleteI've felt pretty Scrooge-y all day, so this post provided a very necessary tonic :) Yay for nice people.
ReplyDelete