I'm just going to let that sink in a little bit.
At track practice, I talked with our Coach and the three other runners going to Richmond about what's weighing on my mind at this point:
- I've only run three times in the last three weeks (I was sick).
- What's the worst that can happen if I burn out in the middle? I'll walk to a water stop and get a ride to the finish.
- I want to cross the finish line feeling like I gave it my all, like I could throw up.
- I'm ready to run. I have a LOT of pent up energy.
Coach T assured me that a three-run, three-week taper just means I have all the more "run" built up in me ready to claw it's way out. I won't burn out, but ok, nothing bad will happen if I did, but I won't burn out. Run the first half without thinking too much. Don't start racing till after 13.1 and then wait til the last 5k to really turn it on and give a 5k effort at that point. That will guarantee that I will feel like I left it all on the pavement. And above all, HAVE FUN, HAVE FUN, HAVE FUN.
Coach T also recommended focusing less on pacing mile to mile and pacing more milestone to milestone. Richmond is sort of a rolling course so my pace if going to fluctuate depending on the section course I'm in. She explains much better in an email she sent us this afternoon:
Focusing on the limited mile markers is really a great way to keep in check without putting yourself into panic mode mile after mile. The course will ebb and flow as will your pacing -- using this model will really allow you to keep pace but have fun and really enjoy the miles as you go.Using all these great words of advice and encouragement, I did my marathon arts and craft project today and made myself a pace band.
I grabbed some advice and words of wisdom from around the blogosphere, did a highly technical analysis to determine the times I wanted to hit for each milestone (really, there was a spread sheet and formulas and data extracting and comparison from multiple races...runNERD) and compiled it all in one awesomely packing tape'd together, inspiration and motivation packed pace band.
So let me now breakdown my goals down for you:
"A" Goal: 4:14:50 finish. Why 4:14:50 and not 4:15? Because it's more fun. I don't care if you disagree or don't understand. :)
"B" Goal: Anything under a 4:27:31. Anything even one second fast than that finish is a PR for me. I'll really be cool with anything under 4:30.
"C" Goal: My C goal all along has been to have a succesful taper. Despite not have a "textbook" taper period (I missed runs, like more than a couple), I still ran, the runs I did were solid, I stayed off my feet and rested, I didn't get atrociously tanked at any point in the last three weeks and kill my momentum, and I didn't overeat. This is a win in my book. So frankly this training cycle, and hence this marathon, is already a success in my book. Hurrah!
I still want a 4:14:50 though.
Stay tuned. Tomorrow I will reveal my race outfit. Try not to get too excited.
And thank you to everyone who responded to my email to track me. I will be on my own in Richmond, not sure if I'll see any familiar faces in the crowd, so knowing I will have a bunch of virtual supporters (don't forget to play the at home drinking game!) means a LOT.
No comments:
Post a Comment