Friday, September 3, 2010

Finally!!!!

Seriously, I have been saying for years, that someone needed to work with MTV to develop their "True Life" series into a product that could be used in high school health classes. How much more engaging would that be for high schools kids than watching cautionary videos produced in 1981 about the dangers of marijuana or whatever? According to this entry on WaPo's "The Check-Up" blog, The Kaiser Family Foundation worked with MTV last year to create "16 & Pregnant" videos and discussion guides for use in health class! The materials are even available FREE! Amazing! And it is about time. The big debate, as discussed in the blog entry, seems to be whether show-casing (that seems like not the right word here at all) these young women in a reality tv format, glamorizes teen pregnancy too much. I really don't think so. Have you watched the show? I'm 26 and married and it practically makes me think twice about kids. None of the people on the show (the new moms, the new dads, the parents of these new parents) have it easy. I have always though MTV did a really good job of presenting the subjects and subject matter in "True Life" in a well-balanced manner. They don't condemn, they don't glorify, it doesn't appear that there is editorial interference in the production--in other words, the don't Laguna Beach this series. Others may feel differently, but that's how I see it. I love that MTV and Kaiser are doing this! I really hope there are schools out there using it!

No comments:

Post a Comment