Thursday, September 2, 2010
Well, I haven't thought about that in YEARS
For some reason (which I will explain shortly) my 7th grade English teacher (who we all LOATHED, as in "hated" doesn't even do the situation justice) came to mind today. It has been such a LONG time since I even remembered that I once I had to suffer through 7th grade and one of my former classmates will possibly read this that I had to post.
I ran across a last name at work today that for whatever reason reminds me of the word "orifice." We all have words we cringe to hear, and while this one doesn't rank with things like "moist" for a few people I know, it's close. Eww. And I thought, "gross, it would suck to go through life with a last name that sounds like orifice." And then thought, "well, that's not very nice, I bet she has some neat story about [anonymous person's] heritage or where the name came form or what it means. I be [anonymous person] loves [anonymous person's] name."
This chain of thought led me to remember a 7th grade English exercise we did weekly where we looked up words with similar roots. One week, I managed to contribute some word without checking the definition first. Turns out it was something that more or less described the orifices within your bodily cavities. Lovely. I wish you could all be in my head to see the nasty face that teacher made and the hear the tone of whatever nasty comment she made. Sorry that word didn't conjure up rose petals and unicorns for you, lady. It's your damn game. She was truly awful. This was a pretty minor part of the usual daily agenda of 1) being nasty and 2) humiliating students. But I was pretty embarrassed since she called me out in front of the whole class (and this is a room full of 7th graders, including a healthy number of boys) for contributing and reading aloud this really gross word and it's definition.
What a [you know what]! I wonder what SHE'S up to these days.
Pretty sure this falls under the category of, "if you don't have anything nice to say..." but, you know, oh well. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment