Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Speaking of things that remind you of fall...

I was at the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning, poking around, looking for goodies to take on a wine tour that afternoon, and it hit me--it might still be 80 degrees, but fall is HERE. It's a really simple, obvious thing, but I do love the seasonality of the farmers market. I arrived with the intention of picking up some raspberries to go with the brie I had already purchased, but the raspberries are long gone. They've been replaced by crates overflowing with apples. In the two weeks I took off from my regular Saturday market trips, the whole profile of what's growing has changed! Two week ago it was corn, berries, and peaches. Now suddenly it's apples, squash blossoms, and melons and late summer tomatoes that, to quote the NY Times, are "wide and cracked, heavy with the captured humidity of passing summer, each one a Neruda poem shedding its own light, benign majesty..." The temperatures are unusually cool for DC for August (it's been gorgeous and in the 70s and 80s), but it doesn't feel quite like fall yet. Nonetheless, time and Mother Nature are charging forward together and all the stands at the market just scream "fall." I'm headed to the farmer's market this Saturday and I can't wait to see what's new this week! I need to remember to take my camera and get som pictures too!

No comments:

Post a Comment